Preparing for move day
Organisation is key to a successful move and a good starting point is to follow these steps:
- Book your removal company giving as much notice as you possibly can. Liaise with your personal move consultant to discuss your specific move requirements and services.
- De-clutter your home before your home survey is arranged. Reduce. Reuse. Recycle. Decide what you plan to sell, donate or throw away. This will allow your removal company to accurately assess what volume of personal possessions you have to be moved and tailor an accurate quotation for your relocation.
- Value your household contents that are to be moved. This will allow you to select sufficient insurance cover for your move when accepting your quotation. It is also a good idea to take out a postponement waiver with your move which allows you to amend your move date should this change with no additional charges.
- If you are completing your own packing, purchase your packing materials from our online shop. Pack room by room and clearly label all boxes with the contents and where you want these items to be placed in your new home.
- Arrange for larger items of furniture to be dismantled and labelled and unplug any electrical items.
- Unplug and drain your washing machine, tumble drier, fridge and freezer so no water is left inside.
- Arrange for your mail to be redirected to your new address. Cancel or transfer any utilities such as electric, gas, broadband and tv packages.
- Check access for your removal vehicle and advise your personal move consultant if space is limited for a 15m vehicle so they can allocate the correct vehicle type. If required, arrange parking for the removal crew on move day at both addresses.
- Prepare an essentials box for when you arrive at your new home. This is usually the last item packed and the first time open and nearly always includes a kettle and tea/coffee!
- Be open with your children and explain the move process. Our Junior crew t-shirts will help the kids enjoy the experience and get excited for their new home.
Moving home? Take the first steps to getting started today!